California Youth Versus Big Oil (CA YVBO), in partnership with the Center for Biological Diversity, Central California Environmental Justice Network are launching an exciting CA YVBO Fellowship Program! We will be offering mentorships and financial support for up to six youth leaders currently or recently active in the CA Youth Versus Big Oil Coalition.
Central California Environmental Justice Network, a fiscally sponsored project of the Social and Environmental Entrepreneurs (SEE), will be hiring two Fellows to work for five hours a week on CA YVBO related projects over three months. Fellows will receive $1000 each, as well as mentorship and supervision with an organizer assigned to them from CCEJN.
Please read further for more information about participating in the program and how to apply. We will be accepting applications between 2/18/22 and making selections by 3/29/21.
Expectations for Fellows:
• Fellows will work on CA YVBO related projects for 5 hours per week over 3 months for a total of 20 hours per month, or 60 hours over 3 months.
• Fellows will receive $1000, paid on a bi-weekly basis. Fellows will be paid at an hourly pre-tax rate of $16.66/hour.
• The Fellows will be hired by CCEJN and will be assigned a program mentor to discuss work plans and provide support during bi-weekly check-in meetings.
• Fellows will join and participate in weekly CA YVBO coordination team meetings and/or regional team meetings.
• Workstreams and priority tasks will be collectively identified by the CA YVBO coordination team, Fellows, and their mentors each week.
Criteria for Applicants:
• Applicant demonstrates commitment and ability to work for at least 5 hours per week, or 20 hours per month, for 3 months on CA YVBO-related projects.
• Applicant is, or agrees to be, a member of the CA YVBO coordination team and/or a regional team coordinator.
• Applicant demonstrates commitment and ability to recruit, train, and support new members to take on leadership in the coalition.
• Applicant is able to finish tasks on time and works well in teams.
• Applicant demonstrates need for financial support.
• Applicant demonstrates strong enthusiasm and excitement for working on the campaign goals of the CA YVBO coalition.
• Applicants should have experience of participating in the CA YVBO coalition, organizing with an existing CA YVBO coalition partner organization (see list of coalition members here), or a related youth environmental or climate justice organization.
• Young people of color, young people from frontline communities, and youth between the ages of 14-18 are strongly and enthusiastically encouraged to apply!
• If selected for the Fellowship, applicants under the age of 18 must-have formal written consent from their parent or guardian to participate in the program.
• Please submit EITHER a short video (roughly 3 minutes) OR a 1-page letter to the CA YVBO applications team. The letter or video should do the following:
• Tell us about your background and why you would like to participate in the fellowship program.
• Tell us about what you would like to learn, or skills you would like to gain, from participating in the program.
• Tell us about activities or actions you would be especially excited to provide support on as a Fellow. (Banner drops, writing OP-eds, Organizing rallies, participating in phone banks, etc.)
• Tell us how the stipend and mentorship would help you take on more leadership and responsibilities in the coalition.
• Please send your applications to firstname.lastname@example.org and CC email@example.com• Please submit your application no later than 3/31/22