The Central California Environmental Justice Network (CCEJN) is accepting applications from motivated individuals to fill a part-time Community Organizer position focused on reducing pesticide use in Fresno County (likely to evolve into a full-time position incorporating a broader focus on additional environmental justice and air quality issues).
Job Description: The part-time Community Organizer position is responsible for building community capacity and empowering community residents in Fresno County to develop, plan, and implement campaigns to improve environmental health through pesticide reduction. The organizer will work closely with and mobilize Fresno ally organizations to address disparate environmental impacts on low-income communities of color caused by pesticides. The Community Organizer will report directly to CCEJN’s Executive Director. As a Steering Committee member of the Californians for Pesticide Reform (CPR) coalition, CCEJN carries out its pesticide work in conjunction with CPR. This position will receive support from, and coordinate with, CPR staff, other CPR member groups, and other CPR regional organizing hubs.
- Attend meetings on behalf of CCEJN or tend to other duties related to the organization as assigned
- Collaborate with other organizations in Fresno County and across the state to advance environmental justice issues affecting Fresno County residents
- Other duties as assigned by CCEJN’s Director
- Community organizing experience
- Strong communication skills both oral and written
- Bilingual English and Spanish. Ability to do basic translations of materials and to provide interpretation during meetings
- Ability to work well with diverse groups
- Must work with limited supervision—create sound work style and be able to develop his/her own schedule in order to complete project tasks
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products
- Strong commitment to environmental justice and the mission of CCEJN
- Ability and willingness to travel within Fresno County and other parts of California and to have a flexible schedule as needed
- Current driver’s license and fully-insured personal vehicle
- Completed courses in an accredited college or university on Environmental Science, Social or Health Sciences
- Experience doing advocacy work
This is a non-exempt part-time position. It is expected that this person will work approximately 20-25 hours per week, with the possibility of evolving into a full-time position depending on funding availability.
Starting Date: Open until filled
How to Apply: Interested candidates must send an e-mail that includes a cover letter, resume and 3 work and/or school references to Nayamin.Martinez@outlook.com with “CCEJN Fresno Community Organizer” as the subject line. For more information about the position please contact Nayamin Martinez at 559-351-6398